Tuesday 15 January 2008

View from the Wedges

Columnist Sanam Peshimam rants about Blood, Sweat and Shoes on the London U
nderground...

Yet another shitty day, and yet another shitty commute. I’m jammed up next to what Feels like seven million people on the same train back home after a tedious day at work. Someone sneezes, everyone shuffles and a woman squarely steps on my toe. She raises her eyebrows to apologize; I forgive her with a subtle nod of the head. No words are exchanged, that would be blasphemy! We are on the London Underground after all. Lon­doners are notoriously straitlaced about such matters you see. Nobody talks to anybody on the tube except for narcissists: who insist on parlaying their woes at loud volume, maniacs: of whom there are several, or tour­ists, who can and usually do fit under both categories. Forget speech, even looking at another individual for more than the mandatory three seconds for the London once-over is considered passive aggressive.

In such situations I often find myself wondering where to place my eyes safely during the hour long ride home. I avoid advertisements, since I’m on a detox from subliminal spending; the tube upholstery is dull as dishwater, and as for other individuals in the compartment: shaky ground I tell thee! Where can one look that is not a direct provocation? The face is a no-go area, as previously stated, and after finding myself mistakenly staring at an el­derly gentleman’s crotch for much longer than necessary, I’ve stopped looking anywhere short of the neck and above the knee. That people-watching on the tube is one of my favourite activities all has to do with the one area I have decided is definitely OK to examine for as long as I wish.

Shoes! Oh the hundreds of pairs of shoes every Londoner subconsciously looks at every single day...When I realised I was always staring at people’s feet in the carriage, I began to really look. Shoes can tell you millions of whispered stories if you’re attentive. Indie converses, practical loafers, tie-up Gucci brogues, falling apart ballerina flats, impractical spindly stilettos they all reveal more about that person sharing your oxygen space than the three second look in their eyes. I’ve made a hobby out of examining people’s shoes on my ride home and trying to figure out what makes them tick. You’ll discover a whole new world playing this game of “if the shoe fits...” But be warned! As a seasoned shoe-watcher, I have developed many prejudices. Crocs, Uggs or any form of furry/plastic footwear immediately relegates the wearer to idiot status. Talk about judging a book by its shoes? Perhaps, but sometimes if you look carefully enough, the shoes tell you things much more interesting than this hour’s copy of The London Paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment