Thursday 26 March 2009

University Bound

An article on a University-bound high school graduate for YOU! Magazine, Dubai

Natalie Robehmed, the talented, effervescent eighteen year old head girl of Dubai College, chats with us about her last few weeks in school and the nerve-wracking University application process.

Where are you headed for University and what will you be studying?

I’m going to be studying Philosophy at Heythrop College, University of London or at University College London. I haven’t completely decided yet!

How did you decide on this course?

At first I was considering pursuing an Art foundation course, as I have always really enjoyed Art and am taking it at A-level. However, when I thought about what excited and interested me the most about studying Art, I realised it was examining the reasoning behind what I created. ‘Why does this form exist in this way?’ ‘What does beauty mean?’- I realised Philosophy ties into all the questions that made Art enjoyable for me. I decided on Philosophy as it was such a varied, interesting and diverse subject. I knew it would keep me passionately interested for three years, something that was vital to my choice of course.

What would you say were the main highlights and drawbacks of the entire University application process?

It has definitely been a busy year filled with anticipation! As everything is online, the actual application procedure is not as daunting as it may seem, and I genuinely enjoyed the entire process. One of my main highlights was attending a rigorous interview at an esteemed institution, where I had to constantly think on my feet and prove I was truly zealous about studying Philosophy. The two day interview process opened my eyes, and though I wasn’t offered a place, it left me 100% convinced about my choice of course.

I’d say the drawback to the entire process for my friends and I would definitely be the high amount of stress involved! Whether qualifying for the correct fee status, or getting offers for places on oversubscribed courses, the entire process is wrought with anxiety.

With hindsight, what is one piece of advice you would give to the Year 12s as they start thinking about their final year of school?

I would definitely say start thinking in advance. The year creeps around faster than you can expect and it is a good idea to start thinking about courses and Universities you would be interested in. Competition is getting fiercer and fiercer and just good grades don’t get you anywhere these days. Make sure you have stellar extra-curriculars, a fantastic personal statement and lots of enthusiasm for what you hope to pursue.

What do you hope to do in the future?

I would like to continue with education for a while, perhaps a Masters and then most likely, get into teaching. I love the idea of being a teacher.

What are you going to miss the most about Dubai?

Everything! This is my home and I love it. Life is so easy here, and I am going to miss that. I am really looking forward to experiencing London, but I know I will definitely miss Dubai and the carefree existence we have here!

Finally, have you got a message for your fellow classmates, about to begin a new chapter in their lives?

I’ll keep it short and sweet: stay in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment